Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Out of Prime Real Estate

I'm finally down to just two full tubs of Transformers, which represent about half of my remaining collection. Which means that they must be the small to medium size figures to pack together that tightly. One should be my Beast Wars collection, and the other looks like my Armada/Energon/Cyberton figures. I can't remember if I left most of them in robot mode before packing them up, but hopefully I did. The time I'm taking to re-transform figures is still slowing me down the most. Even looking up the figure names doesn't take that long.

Last night I gathered up all of my Bumblebee figures, which were all in vehicle mode except for two. I still have three left to convert before I'm done putting them onto the top shelf.

Right now I have about two and a half shelves left open, all together. That includes a couple of feet at the ends of the two top shelves. What I don't seem to have anymore is room for my Prime/Primal and Megatron collections... I started the Primes on one side of a shelf and the Megatrons on the other. Last night I put my second to last movie Prime on the shelf and filled the remaining gap. I can still fit a few more in front of the other figures, if they're shorter. But for the most part, any new leader figure I get will have to go on a completely new shelf. I considered moving the Megatrons to the other side of the room, on their own shelf, but that would mean moving the other figures I already have over there... plus, it doesn't look quite as impressive split out that far. But it might still need to happen at some point. Maybe a year down the road I'll take the time to move them around better. For now, they can stay where they are.

My overall figure damage report was really low until a few days ago. There were less than half a dozen vehicles that had small paint scratches or rubberized parts that had been bent in a curve that needed to be straightened back out. But over the weekend I tried to work with my Generation 2 Jazz figure... the plastic they used for the front end didn't stand the test of time well at all. When I tried to pull the arms out to the sides, the top of the hood split apart, on both sides for both arms. Then the entire front end detached from the rest of the figure. So now he's in several pieces on my desk as I figure out what I want to do. My G1 Jazz is still discolored and has fairly loose joints, but it's still in one piece. I may see what I can do with some glue to put the other guy back together again. It's just a shame the plastic came apart so badly, as he's one of my favorite characters.

I'm glad that I can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel now. It's been fun to revisit a number of figures as I put them on the shelves, but it's also been a much longer process than I had expected...

No comments:

Post a Comment